Duration: Friday 5:00 pm – Sunday 4:00 pm
Topic: Shapes & the Sans Serif Art Déco Fonts – Designs
No previous knowledge necessary
My course at the Hotel Paxmontana last year was a special treat for all participants. So, it is obvious for me to return this year as well. You will enjoy the special ambience of an art nouveau hotel. Its hospitality, the delicious meals and the beautiful location with the magnificent mountain panorama will complement the course in the most pleasant way. The memory of Holy Brother Klaus, where he lived in Flüeli-Ranft, is still very noticeable. A visit to the two chapels in the Ranft-gorge and Brother Klaus’s hermitage which he lived in by himself bear witness to his impressive history.
The simple and elegant Sans Serif Art Déco fonts in the unmistakable style of the 1920s will be our theme. The font has different variants with small modifications, which is suitable for decorative, nostalgic representations or can also be interpreted in a modern way. Images of fashion of that time appear before my eyes, the women’s hairstyle, the film “Great Gatsby” sends its regards.
First, we turn to the basic font, complemented by other details. Every further step shows the typeface’s ability to transform itself, with refined elements creating other versions. The script is written with a pointed pen; in the case of large formats, the individual letters are pre-sketched. Texts and font designs will be in focus, in black and white and in colour. This includes a few typical Art Déco patterns that are drawn and together with the font they become a nostalgic typeface. The course will give plenty of opportunity for your own ideas, bringing creativity to the surface.
Hopefully, the resulting typefaces will whet your appetite for more.
• Getting used to the pointed nib for beginners• Learn the basics of the Sans Serif Art Déco fonts• Practice other script versions• Sketch typefaces – change them individually• Draw art déco patterns (templates)• Create typeface
Course leader: Hanna Biedermann
Contact: Tel: 061 322 56 36 / Mobil: 079 311 72 61 / E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Course fee: CHF 420.00 incl. penholder, 2 nibs, course materials, ink
- Hotel accommodation with 2 nights (in the guesthouse) / full board, incl. room rental: CHF 370.00.-
- The course will begin on Friday after dinner
- The course will take place with a minimum of 6 participants, maximum 10 participants
- Registration by May 27, 2022 at the latest via the registration form on my website
- To secure your place, please register early
- Information about the Hotel Paxmontana: paxmontana.ch/en
A weekend course like this is valuable in many ways. Treat yourself to a weekend for your own needs. To be away from everyday life in a different environment has a beneficial effect. Having enough time for creative productions, being together with like-minded people who come together from different parts of Switzerland, all this is reason enough to look forward to.
The view through the large windows of our creative room sweeps over the blooming flower beds in front of us, behind the mountain scenery, truly a feast for the eyes. You will take many new impressions and experiences with you on the way home.
A warm welcome!