Topic: The Copperplate Font
Friday, June 11., 2021 2:00pm – Sunday, June 13., 2021 4:00pm
No previous knowledge required
I am already looking forward to our next calligraphy course in the historic and impressive monastery of Engelberg, where the course participants and I were warmly welcomed and felt very comfortable in September 2020. The large monastery complex is impressive. If you look closely you can see all the beautiful elements of the venerable building. Surrounded by impressive mountains, we find ourselves in a magnificent setting that inspires the creative senses.
This time I chose the 18th century copperplate font, also called Anglaise. Whereby this variant has many own and other character traits, with more swings and curlicues than the Anglaise, which I usually teach. In the past, views of the copperplate from books were reproduced as copperplate engravings, later they were called so because of this in the Anglo-Saxon countries.
The Copperplate font is a bold, ornate, aesthetic and elegant typeface. It is capable of bringing one into an almost meditative state while writing. The nib glides lightly over the paper, and the curves are enjoyed like the elegant movements of a ballerina. In this course you will learn step by step the structure of the basic form of the copperplate script in combination with the curves. An Oblique fountain pen holder(elbow pen) will be used for this purpose, an inclined pen that is especially recommended for inclined fonts. It facilitates the execution of the swings and is also comfortable to hold. The copperplate font is great for surprising people and for special occasions. Or as a decorative embellishment for a festively laid table and for much more. Let us surprise you. There are no limits to your own creativity.
Course leader: Hanna Biedermann
Phone: 061 322 56 36/ Mobile: 079 311 72 61
- Course costs: CHF 420.00 including comprehensive course materials, oblique pen, 2 nibs, ( ink can be purchased from me)
- To bring: a short material list will follow after the registration
- Full board catering & lodging in the monastery, including conference room rental: CHF 375.00
- Registration until May 26th 2021 at the latest via the registration form on my website.
To secure your place, please register early.
- From a minimum of 6 participants the course will take place, maximum 7 participants
- For impressions of the monastery: https://www.kloster-engelberg.ch/
I also recommend you the following report: An abbot with body and soul on You Tube (in German)
- Arrival at 2:00pm on Friday for those who would like to come for a walk
- Arrival at 4:00pm on Friday the whole group meets in front of the main entrance of the monastery
- Please note an innovation during meals in the monastery:For guests, silence during meals has been introduced in order to let the monastic spirit flow in even more. This silence during the meals might be a new experience for many of us. We will experience deeper mindfulness and focus on the food and the inner self.Afterwards we will go out into nature. We will chat happily again, it is sure to be a lively, exciting exchange about the new experience. I feel inspired to incorporate new approaches into my program, calligraphy that goes even deeper. It is said: “be open-minded to new things” and so it should be.
The protective measures ordered by the federal government are guaranteed in the monastery