Topic: The Copperplate Font
Friday, April 30, 2021 2:00pm – Sunday, May 2, 2021 4:00pm
No previous knowledge required
I am already looking forward to our next calligraphy course in the historic and impressive monastery of Engelberg, where the course participants and I were warmly welcomed and felt very comfortable in September 2020. The large monastery complex is impressive. If you look closely you can see all the beautiful elements of the venerable building. Surrounded by impressive mountains, we find ourselves in a magnificent setting that inspires the creative senses.
This time I chose the 18th century copperplate font, also called Anglaise. Whereby this variant has many own and other character traits, with more swings and curlicues than the Anglaise, which I usually teach. In the past, views of the copperplate from books were reproduced as copperplate engravings, later they were called so because of this in the Anglo-Saxon countries.
The Copperplate font is a bold, ornate, aesthetic and elegant typeface. It is capable of bringing one into an almost meditative state while writing. The nib glides lightly over the paper, and the curves are enjoyed like the elegant movements of a ballerina. In this course you will learn step by step the structure of the basic form of the copperplate script in combination with the curves. An Oblique fountain pen holder(elbow pen) will be used for this purpose, an inclined pen that is especially recommended for inclined fonts. It facilitates the execution of the swings and is also comfortable to hold. The copperplate font is great for surprising people and for special occasions. Or as a decorative embellishment for a festively laid table and for much more. Let us surprise you. There are no limits to your own creativity.
Course leader: Hanna Biedermann
Phone: 061 322 56 36/ Mobile: 079 311 72 61
- Course costs: CHF 420.00 including comprehensive course materials, oblique pen, 2 nibs, ( ink can be purchased from me)
- To bring: a short material list will follow after the registration
- Full board catering & lodging in the monastery, including conference room rental: CHF 375.00
- Registration until April 1, 2021 at the latest via the registration form on my website.
To secure your place, please register early.
- From a minimum of 6 participants the course will take place, maximum 10 participants
- For impressions of the monastery: https://www.kloster-engelberg.ch/
I also recommend you the following report: An abbot with body and soul on You Tube (in German)
- Arrival at 2:00pm on Friday for those who would like to come for a walk
- Arrival at 4:00pm on Friday the whole group meets in front of the main entrance of the monastery
The protective measures ordered by the federal government are guaranteed in the monastery